ADVOCACY. LEADERSHIP. GROWTH.
The Brownsville Chamber of Commerce is a member driven business organization whose principal mission is to advance the business interests of its members through advocacy, leadership and business-building initiatives.
As early as 1914, area businessmen assembled at various office buildings in downtown Brownsville. The association built its first office in 1927, a beautiful Spanish-style structure on E. Levee Street, adjacent to the Missouri Pacific railroad passenger depot.
In July 1937, a voluntary association of 39 business people officially registered the nonprofit organization known as the Brownsville Chamber of Commerce. According to the first Articles of Incorporation, “the beginning purpose of organizing a Chamber of Commerce was the power to provide and maintain suitable rooms for the conduct of its business, to acquire, preserve, and disseminate valuable business information, and to promote the interest of trade and increase the facilities of commercial transactions.”
In 1966, a new structure was built on E. Elizabeth Street next to the Gateway International Bridge that to this day continues to be the home of the Chamber. Since its inception, the Brownsville Chamber of Commerce has been the community’s united front and a catalyst for the improvement of the civic, economic and social welfare of Brownsville and its citizens. The Chamber helped to establish Charro Days Inc., Sombrero Festival, the Mr. Amigo Association, Leadership Brownsville, Brownsville Crime Stoppers, and Healthy Communities of Brownsville. The Brownsville Chamber also supported the creation of Texas Southmost College, the Port of Brownsville, the Brownsville South Padre Island International Airport, and the Brownsville Economic Development Council.
A nonprofit, 501(c)6 organization primarily funded by member dues, the Brownsville Chamber of Commerce is the community’s leading advocate for business, with a primary objective to create a climate of growth and success in our community.
1930 Brownsville Chamber of Commerce Building on E. Levee St.