Brownsville Chamber of Commerce

HISTORY

As early as 1914, area businessmen assembled at various office buildings in downtown Brownsville. The association built its first office in 1927, a beautiful Spanish-style structure on E. Levee Street, adjacent to the Missouri Pacific railroad passenger depot. In July 1937, a voluntary association of 39 business people officially registered the nonprofit organization known as the Brownsville Chamber of Commerce. According to the first Articles of Incorporation, “the beginning purpose of organizing a Chamber of Commerce was the power to provide and maintain suitable rooms for the conduct of its business, to acquire, preserve, and disseminate valuable business information, and to promote the interest of trade and increase the facilities of commercial transactions.”

 A NEW STRUCTURE WAS BUILT ON